2010/11/01

University Self Introduction

"I'm Sherry. I'm 4th year student. My major is business."

The most simple sentence structure is 'A is B.' In Japanese, it is 'AはBです。(A wa B de su).' Here は(ha) pronounces は(wa). We can make a self introduction just by using 'A is B' as long as we know the related vocabulary. I usually do a simple quick self introduction in the first class of the semester like below:

English
Japanese
Pronunciation
I'm Sherry.
わたし は Sherry です。
watashi wa Sherry desu.
I'm 4th year student.
わたし は よねんせい です。
watashi wa yonensee desu.
(My) major is business.
せんもん は ビジネス です。
senmon wa bijinesu desu.


Vocabulary
わたし
watashi
I
よん *
yon
Four
ねんせい
nensee
...year student
せんもん
senmon
major
ビジネス
bijinesu
business
* Four is yon, but when it comes to fourth year, it is yo instead of yon. I will make a summary of this later on as 'Numbers Summary'.

Now I want to make '(My) major is business.' to exactly 'My major is business.' I will use 'AのB (A no B)'. の(no) is a particle to connect two nouns. 'My major' could be translated to Japanese 'わたし の せんもん.' So this sentence could be written as:
            わたし の せんもん は ビジネス です。
           (watashi no senmon wa bijinesu dusu.)

Further more, if I introduce my self to someone else outside of my school, I would say 'I'm York University student.' which is:
           わたし は Yorkだいがく の がくせい です。
           (watashi wa Yorkdaigaku no gakusei desu.)
Here, 'だいがく (daigaku)' means 'university', and 'がくせい (gakusei)' means student.

No comments:

Post a Comment